Thursday, August 12, 2010

Crap. (from Zest Books)

Crap: How to deal with annoying teachers, bosses, backstabbers, and other stuff that stinksTitle: Crap. (How to deal with annoying teachers, bosses, backstabbers, and other stuff that stinks)
Authors: Erin Elisabeth Conley, Karen Macklin, Jake Miller
Pages: 96
Published: 2009 Zest Books, teen nonfiction
Read for: the publisher for a review

This cute little brown and white book is an attention grabber.  In fact, to quote my 11 year old son: "I saw that book.  I was immediately interested."  And how could you not be?  Just under 5" x 7", it's even fun to hold, carry around, stick in your bag or leave on a random table--daring all who see it to resist its charm.

The intrigue doesn't stop at the cover, though.  There isn't a boring spot in the book.  It is interspersed with great quotes from quite the assortment of sources--everyone from Homer Simpson and Danny DeVito to D.H. Lawrence and Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche--as well as numerous interesting facts.  The discussion of both figurative and literal crap keep the text funny, while it remains informative and clear.  Teens and adults alike will learn how to identify, avoid, deal with, and get rid of the crap that sometimes takes over our lives.

This is the second book I've reviewed for Zest Books, specializing in Teen Nonfiction, and my initial impressions have been further solidified with this slim volume.  The design is great; the tone real and funny yet respectful; the information solid, thorough, and never boring.  I especially appreciate that healthy behavior is encouraged: individuality and personality paired with responsibility and respect.

2 comments:

  1. Cute book! I could definitely use a guide to help me deal with crappy people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!

    I'm visiting from the hop. Happy Friday!!
    http://www.primoreads.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say, leave a comment!